Applications are now submitted electronically!
The deadline for submission of your application to sit for the AIMVT certification examination (to be administered June 2019 in Phoenix, AZ)
is 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time September 30, 2018
Complete each step delineated on the AIMVT Checklist that correspond in numerical order with these instructions. Include all of the following items in your application packet. To download and print these steps in a checklist PDF, click here.
It is imperative that applicants carefully read and fully understand these requirements. Submitted applications will be reviewed for completeness and if any deficiencies are noted, the application will be denied without review of Case Logs or Case Reports.
- An electronic scan of your diploma or current certificate from your state’s credentialing agency.
- Proof of month & year of graduation and/or first date of credentialing should be evident from these documents. If not, please provide additional proof of length of time since graduation and/or credentialing.
- Sign the Waiver, Release and Indemnity Agreement Form. Include a scanned copy in your application email.
- Complete the Professional History and Employment Form and include an electronic copy in your application email.
- The minimum work experience is at least 3 years and 6,000 hours as a credentialed veterinary technician in the field of Internal Medicine. This experience must be completed within five years prior to application.
- There are two options for the percentage of your time in the specialty, both require a minimum of 4,500 contact hours in your specialty. Further verification may be required in the form of pay stubs or a letter from your employer(s).
- Option 1 – You must spend 75% (at least 4,500 hours) of your time in your area of specialization. For technicians who work 75% or more in their specialty, any VTS or DVM from the list may sign off on the skills list.
- Option 2 – You must spend at least 55% (at least 4,500 hours) of your time in your area of specialization. For technicians who work 55-75% in their specialty, only a VTS or Diplomate in that specialty may sign off on the skills list.
- Complete the Internal Medicine Continuing Education Form (this form must be used, no substitutions please). Use additional forms as necessary.
- You must have a minimum of 40 hours of continuing education taken/attended within five (5) years of your application date. Over-submission of hours is encouraged in cases of disqualification of any CE submitted deemed as unacceptable or not relevant by the Credentialing Committee.
- The content of qualifying continuing education must meet the definition of Internal Medicine. A minimum of 70% of the continuing education must be in the subspecialty of application; up to 30% of the continuing education may be in general internal medicine topics.
- Proof of attendance is required. Scanned copies of attendance certificates must be included in your application email. Further verification of CE attendance such as receipts or proceedings may be required.
- A detailed listing of individual lectures attended is required; CE may not be listed by conference. (i.e. can not list ACVIM 20 hours on the form, actual lecture titles must be included). CE attended before graduation from an AVMA accredited program or before credentialing by a state will NOT qualify. All CE must be completed within the last five (5) years immediately prior to the application submission deadline.
- CE must meet RACE (Registry of Approved Continuing Education) certification requirements or its equivalent (as determined by the AIMVT Credentialing Committee). Please go to www.aavsb.org for more information on RACE certification.
- Online CE is acceptable, as long as it is provided by a VTS or Diplomate and meets the other above-listed criteria.
- Submit three potential examination questions specific to the area of specialty you are seeking VTS certification in (e.g. Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Neurology, Oncology). Examination questions should represent a thoughtful representation of your advanced skills or knowledge. You are encouraged to submit questions from different domains to demonstrate your knowledge base.
- Click here to download Guidelines for Exam Questions.
- Click here to download AIMVT Item Writing Form.
- Two letters of recommendation from a VTS of AIMVT, or a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Until there are sufficient numbers of the aforementioned, letters of recommendation will be accepted from the following: VTS members of AVTAA, AVTCP, or AVECCT; Diplomates in Anesthesia/Analgesia (DACVAA), Emergency & Critical Care (DACVECC), Surgery (DACVS), Clinical Practice (DABVP), or Radiation Oncology (DACVR-O). In the event the applicant does not have access to TWO of the above-listed VTS-es or Diplomates, the Academy will accept ONE of the two required letters of recommendation from a licensed DVM with an additional letter from said DVM stating that no Diplomate or VTS is easily available for the applicant to utilize. Letters of recommendation are due September 1st and must be sent directly from the recommending party.
- Click here to download Letter of Recommendation Instructions
- Click here to download Letter of Recommendation Form